Definition: jumping into the ocean in the morning. Not only crazy, but freezing. (Urban Dictionary)
A few tips:
- Go with someone else so your bravery isn’t wasted on just the ocean. ;)
- Stay in as long as you can bear it…about 20 min. during a March storm. When you can’t feel the cold anymore, you have about 5 min. left.
- When in the water, stay as active as possible. Screaming when a wave hits,
riverocean-dancing, and fleeing from your intent-on-dunking-you brother are all excellent ways of keeping your circulation moving.
- When you’ve had enough, choose an opportune moment (when your partner isn’t watching) and start sprinting for the house as fast you can. It now becomes a race to the showers to see who can get the hot water first.
- It’s actually a good sign if your fingers and toes start hurting like the dickens when you’re trying to warm up.
- The hot water won’t last more than 5 min. so afterwards find a heater (or the oven!) and shiver in front of it for 10 min. as the water boils for a big cup of black tea!
- Standard time for regaining normal body temperature is about 1 hour.
- Repeat as desired. (I’ve gone twice this morning already…)
Pictures from a Friday morning walk.
These are a couple pictures from our hike up Larch Mountain yesterday. Look for more on Galena’s blog. :-)